Tram pictured near the Merton Change Pit, Longley Road
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||15th October 1950|
|Notes / History||This tram, bound for Embankment, is just switching from the LUT network to the LCC tramway, with its overhead power supply.
There were two ways of supplying electric power to the trams, overhead and under the tracks. The overhead was by connecting via the trolley-pole to the overhead wires, whereas the other option was by connecting to the conduit power supply via shoes that ran through the groove under the tracks. The change-pit was where trams changed from one system to the other.