Fibre mills near Mitcham station

Fibre mills near Mitcham station

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1879
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 Marcus
Picture Reference Mit_​Work_​Industry_​26-1
Original Format Photo
Notes / History The fibre mills referred to are those located at Mitcham Bridge. At this location there were four mills. Two on each side of the River Wandle. Of the two on the East bank Crown Mill was used to produce felt. They were known as Mitcham Felt Mills or Wandle Felt Works. This picture is more than likely taken when the mill was owned by RR Whitehead Bros Ltd. The other mill Grove Mill only changed over to fibre production in 1902. This brought to an end flour milling after 900 years.

Related items

Comments

* Required field