London Road, London House, Mitcham
Buy a copy
|Notes / History||Shown on the right, behind the London House general store, are two substantial semi-detached three-storeyed houses which were located on the London Road, formerly known as Whitford Lane. Around 1830 George Pitt Senior established and became proprietor of the London House drapery store which occupied one of the semi-detached houses . At the time of the establishment of Pitt's business the only other building in Whitford Lane was Elm Lodge at the corner of the Cricket Green.
In 1879, however, the London House took over the adjoining semi-detached house and, as can be seen in the image, the store expanded and became an enlarged general store.