Figges Marsh
Date Photo Taken | 18th October 1951 |
---|---|
Area | Mitcham |
Copyright 1 | Croydon Advertiser |
Picture Reference | Mit_Parks_Open_Spaces_3-1 |
Original Format | Photo |
Notes / History | Figges Marsh is a remnant of Mitcham Commonland and retains the name of William Figge, who in the 14th century held lands from the King. Present day Carlingford Gardens and Manship Road mark the boundary between Figge’s property and the medieval Biggin Farm estate. Swain’s Farm was also near here and market gardening was carried on. Figges Marsh is an open triangular piece of land with trees either side of the path that runs alongside London Road and during World War II it was dug for allotments. The area is now popular for sports such as cricket and football. |