Aerial view of the All England Lawn Tennis Club
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date
|Notes / History
|Founded in 1868, the All England Croquet Club was originally based at Worple Road. Tennis was added to the Club programme in 1875 and rapidly increased in popularity.
The first of the famous Wimbledon championships took place in 1877 and the annual event became a key feature of the English social season, attracting vast crowds of spectators.
The success of the championships made it necessary to seek larger premises and in 1922 the All England Club moved to its present ground in Church Road.