Phipps Bridge Site, Mitcham: Aerial View
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||10th February 1954|
|Copyright 1||Photoflight Limited|
|Notes / History||The smoking tower, picture right, belongs to the Homeward Road refuse destructor, run by Mitcham Corporation. In the lower left section of the picture rows of prefabricated bungalows can be seen, behind which can be seen some wartime allotments. The prefabricated buildings were erected to meet the demands for housing in the aftermath of World War II.
Much of the area was cleared during the 1960s to make way for the Phipps Bridge Estate.
The Wimbledon to Croydon railway line, in the foreground, is now part of the local Tramlink system.