Phipps Bridge Site, Mitcham: Aerial View
Buy a copy
|Date Photo Taken||10th February 1954|
|Copyright 1||Photoflight Limited|
|Notes / History||The smoking tower, picture right, belongs to the Homeward Road refuse destructor, run by Mitcham Corporation. In the front of the picture rows of prefabricated bungalows can be seen. These were erected to meet the demands for housing in the aftermath of World War II. Behind the prefabricated buildings are some wartime allotments.
Much of the area was cleared during the 1960s to make way for the Phipps Bridge Estate.
The Wimbledon to Croydon railway line, in the foreground, is now part of the local Tramlink system.