Excavation of the Morris & Co. Works, Merton
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c. 1992|
|Copyright 1||Wandle Industrial Museum|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||Mr. H. Shutler|
|Notes / History||Shows the foundations of part of the William Morris works, possibly the 16th century house latterly used as a dormitory for the apprentice boys. The house was destroyed by a bomb in 1940.
The Morris site stood on both sides of the River Wandle where it turns to head along Merton High Street. The original buildings that remained after the bombing were demolished in the 1940’s when the site was brought by New Merton Board Mills. In the 1980’s, and just after this dig, the Savacentre was built housing Sainbury’s Supermarket and Marks and Spencer.