Merton High Street, The Nelson Arms
Buy a print
|Notes / History||This pub was started in 1829 by John Edney who had previously been the local constable. It is on the site of the entrance to Lord Nelson's estate which was sold off in 1823.
It was a properly licensed tavern which opened a year before the Beer Act threw open the role of beer retailer to anyone who could afford the license.
The original building has not survived. The current pub, which was rebuilt in 1910, is owned by Shannon Inns.