Spring House, 205 Kingston Road, Merton Park
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1914|
|Copyright 1||D.C. Harrod|
|Notes / History||Spring House was built in 1727 and was a three storey brick building. It was named Spring House because there was a spring pump in front of it. The site in Kingston Road, is now occupied by Spring House Flats, opposite Church Lane.
The house was owned by six generations of one family over a period of 200 years, although few ever lived there. There were a number of tenants, one of which was the Stannard family who occupied the house in 1892. Arthur Stannard was a Civil Engineer, while his wife Henrietta was an author. Among her circle of friends were Oscar Wilde, Henry Irving and Ellen Terry.
The house was used as a prep school in 1926, until a fire in 1934 saw the house demolished and the current flats built in 1935.