The Grange Convalescent Home, Central Road, Morden

The Grange Convalescent Home, Central Road, Morden

Buy a copy

For prints:
Contact Merton Heritage Service. Tel.020 8545 3239 Email:

Area Morden
Picture Reference MerMor_​30_​2-4
Original Format Photo
Notes / History A private room at the Grange Home of Rest, Central Road, Morden, c.1920. In addition to open wards, many cottage hospitals and convalescent homes offered this type of facility where patients paid independently.

The Grange is a two storey stuccoed villa, built c.1800. Like Morden Hall, the Grange, known at the time as Steel Hawes, was owned by Gilliat Edward Hatfeild. In 1915 it was converted into a military hospital with 34 beds and was opened as The Grange by its founder and matron, Mrs Lewin. The building later housed a post-war nursing home, which closed in 1964.

After many years in disrepair, the Grange was refurbished and converted to offices.

Related items


* Required field