Phipps Bridge Road, Mitcham: White Cottage

Phipps Bridge Road, Mitcham: White Cottage

Buy a copy

For prints:
Contact Merton Heritage Service. Tel.020 8545 3239 Email:

Area Mitcham
Picture Reference Mit_​9_​16-4
Original Format Photo
Notes / History The weatherboarded cottage has been known to exist since 1804 under the description of: “Littler’s Cottage”, “White Cottage” or “The Nook”. At first occupied by Thomas Bartlett in 1804, then leased to John Leach of Newton. Leach, Greaves and Hodgson in 1805 were well known calico printers.

In 1812 printer William Hate and sons worked for the calico printers being part of Merton Abbey. The “White Cottage” was demolished in mid-20th century and replaced with a modern block of flats.

Related items


* Required field