Morden House, Morden
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1951|
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||W.A. Cook|
|Notes / History||Towards the end of the 18th Century, Richard Garth IV moved from Morden Hall to Morden House. This old farmhouse was originally built in the 15th Century and rebuilt in the 17th Century. It is a two storey double fronted house, with a balcony over the porch. The original main door was described as being of 'solid oak, hand made with old wrought iron hinges and latch'.
At one stage the house was converted into flats, but still retained some of the old beams, one showing where sides of bacon were hung. There were also two apple attics, with the original staircase still leading up to them.This property has since been demolished