Wimbledon Theatre, Broadway, Wimbledon
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||B. Trim & Co|
|Notes / History||Wimbledon Theatre was built in 1909, to the specifications of manager, J. B. Mulholland; the theatre was designed by Cecil Massey and Roy Young.
A testing ground for West End shows it has played host to many star performances, from Vivien Leigh, Rex Harrison and Sybil Thorndike, to D’Oyley Carte Opera Company and Kirov Ballet.
With several refurbishments, most notably in 1991 and 1998, the theatre retains its baroque and Adamesque internal features. The golden statue atop the dome is Laetitia, the Roman Goddess of Gaiety (although many refer to her as the theatre's "angel") and was an original fixture back in 1910. Laetitia is holding a laurel crown as a symbol of celebration. The statue was removed in World War II as it was thought to be a direction finding device for German bombers. Buried for safekeeping, the angel’s true resting place was sadly forgotten.
The rooftop remained bare until a modern “angel” was added in the refurbishment in 1991.