Merton Place: Divisions of the estate for sale at auction
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1823|
|Notes / History||In 1823, any unsold land surrounding Nelson’s former home was divided into plots and offered for auction. By 1863, much of this area had been purchased by the British Land Company and was used to build rows of terraced housing, known as Nelson Fields.
Asher Goldsmid sold the remaining portion of the Merton estate to Charles Smith in 1826. The farmland remained with his descendants until the inter-war era, when it was used for a factory estate.
Much of the Wimbledon portion of the Nelson estate remained in the ownership of the Goldsmid family until the 1840s. It was later used for terraced housing with suitable road names: Nelson Road, Hamilton Road, Trafalgar Road and Victory Road.