The Elizabeth Gardiner School, Central Road, Morden
Buy a print
|Notes / History||The Garth family owned the manor of Morden from 1554 to 1872.
When Elizabeth Gardiner, daughter of George Garth, died in 1719, she left £300 to provide free schooling for poor children of the parish according to Church of England principles.
Land belonging to the Garth family was leased in Morden Lane (now Central Road) for a peppercorn rent and a school was built c. 1731. The school was enlarged in 1872 and again in 1889 and eventually held 190 pupils.
The plaque above the door commemorates the generosity of the school’s benefactor.