The Old Schoolhouse, Central Road, Morden
Buy a print
|Notes / History||Also known as the Elizabeth Gardiner school
In 1719, the twice married Mrs Gardiner, daughter of George Garth II, died and left £300 to provide free schooling for poor children of the parish. Land was leased from Richard Garth IV, and the school opened in 1731. It was enlarged in 1872 and an infants’ room added in 1889, giving a capacity of 190 children. When a new school was opened in 1910 the old school became the Parish Hall. The plaque which commemorates Mrs Gardiner and her gift to the parish can still be seen on the side of the building.