Morden Cottage, Morden Hall Park
Buy a copy
|Notes / History||Morden Cottage is a weather-boarded villa situated in the rose garden in Morden Hall Park. It was built at the same time as the East Snuff Milll, around 1750, and one of the original tenants was a tobacconist, Nathaniel Polhill who also ran the adjoining Snuff Mill. The last owners of the estate were the Hatfeilds. They originally resided in the Cottage, but on the purchase of Morden Hall in 1867, moved into the larger property, and Gilliat Hatfeild eventually became squire of Morden. On his death in 1906, his son Gilliat Edward Hatfeild inherited the estate, and moved back in to the Cottage, as he was a bachelor, and presumably found the Hall too big for his needs. He bequeathed the Morden Hall estate to the National Trust in 1938.
Since 1941 the Cottage has been used as council offices, including a Registry office, but is currently leased for educational purposes.