Eagle House, London Road, Mitcham
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||John L Baker|
|Notes / History||The sketch shows Eagle House, Upper Mitcham, which is a good example of Queen Anne period architecture and thought to have been erected circa 1705. For a period up to 1616, the land on which the house stands was part of the Estate of Sir Walter and Lady Elizabeth Raleigh.
During its history the house has been used as a residence for city bankers, a private boarding school and a school run by poor law authorities. In more recent years it was in the possession of the London Borough of Merton and was updated and extended for office use.
The house has a fine set of iron gates which are wrought to include the initials of Sir James Doliffe, a merchant and founding director of the South Sea Company, and early resident of the house.