Cromer Hyde, Central Road, Morden.
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date
|Photographic Unit of Architecture & Civic Design
|Notes / History
|In 1925, Cromer Hyde was owned by Col. Phillip Egerton Hodgson. This house with it's one acre of land, was included in the 'County of London (Morden & Carshalton) Housing Order 1925 Compulsory Aquisition of Lands.' The lands being aquired for the development of the Helier Estate.
Much of the land that was purchased was rural with some large houses and many cottages also being demolished. Many people were displaced from their homes. An area covering from the River Wandle to Carshalton along with parts of Sutton and a large tract of land from the parish of Morden combined to form the St. Helier Estate.