Blue House Cottages, West Barnes Lanes: No.3

Blue House Cottages, West Barnes Lanes: No.3

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1963
Area West Barnes
Copyright 1 R W Sims
Picture Reference MerMor_​Houses_​Buildings_​A_​C_​3-7
Original Format Photo
Notes / History This photo shows one of a group of cottages, known as Blue House Cottages, which were situated by a bridge over the Beverley Brook. They were built around 1884 by Charles Blake, a solicitor and local landowner, who owned nearby Blue House Farm. The farm was used for breeding polo ponies, and the cottages were most probably built for his farmworkers . Charles Blake owned a lot of property in the area, and was known as 'Squire Blake'.

Two of the cottages were demolished in 1963 having been condemmed as unfit for occupation. The other two houses survive.

Related items

Comments

* Required field