Cannon Hill House
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Notes / History||Cannon Hill House.
This property is thought to date from the late eighteenth century. Built half a mile south of the Kingston Road and near to Merton Common, it was a “White house situated on an eminence commanding a pleasant and extensive prospect to the east, over a small park or lawn. On the west were suitable gardens, shrubberies, etc.” the first owner appears to have been William Taylor, while one of the last residents was Richard Thornton, a wealthy landowner who died in 1865, leaving a vast fortune amounting to more than £3,000,000. £7000 of this was bequeathed to found Merton village school. The house appears to have been demolished at some point during the late nineteenth century. During the interwar era, much of the associated land was used by George Blay for construction of the Cannon Hill Estate.