Rowland Wilson Almshouses, Kingston Road, Merton
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||March 1952|
|Copyright 1||W. A. Garrett|
|Notes / History||This set of tiny almshouses which stood at 70 Kingston Road, were built in 1656, using money bequeathed by Rowland Wilson, a successful merchant and vintner. They were designed to accommodate six "needy" women, each of whom was awarded a pension of £4 per year, (no mean sum by the standards of the day), together with provision for "a chaldron of coals".
Sadly, the almshouses were amongst a number of historic buildings demolished during the 1960's.