Rowland Wilson Almshouses, Kingston Road, Merton
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1911|
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||C.H. Cooper|
|Notes / History||This set of tiny almshouses which stood at 70 Kingston Road, were built in 1656, using money bequeathed by Rowland Wilson, a successful merchant and vintner. They were designed to accommodate six "needy" women, each of whom was awarded a pension of £4 per year, (no mean sum by the standards of the day), together with provision for "a chaldron of coals".