Dorset Hall, Kingston Road, Merton Park
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Notes / History||Dorset Hall is a Grade II listed building of “Georgian” character. Despite later alterations and extensions it remains an important link with Merton’s rural past.
Now part of the John Innes Conservation areas, the house was probably built c.1709 by
Edwart Hubbart Senior, a yeoman farmer in Merton and Wimbledon.
From 1906 the property was home to Rose Lamartine Yates, Organising Secretary and Treasurer of the Wimbledon Woman’s Social and Political Union. She used her house and garden as a campaign venue, to promote and raise funds for the women's suffrage movement. Dorset Hall was also a haven where suffragettes could recuperate following prison terms and hunger strikes.
Rose bequeathed the house to Merton and Morden Urban District Council in 1935. The property is now divided into flats.