Dorset Hall, Merton Park: Rear view
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1900|
|Copyright 1||Museum of Wimbledon|
|Notes / History||Dorset Hall is a Grade II listed building of “Georgian” character. Despite later alterations and extensions it remains an important link with Merton’s rural past.
Now part of the John Innes Conservation areas, the house was probably built c.1709 by
Edwart Hubbart Senior, a yeoman farmer in Merton and Wimbledon.
From 1908 the property was home to Rose Lamartine Yates, Chairwoman of the Wimbledon Woman’s Social and Political Union. She used her house to raise funds for the suffrage movement and a a refuge for suffragettes recovering after prison terms.
Rose bequeathed the house to Merton and Morden Urban District Council in 1935. The property is now divided into flats.