Prefab Houses, St. Helier Estate

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c. 1954
Area Morden
Copyright 1 Croydon Times
Picture Reference MerMor_​Events_​A_​D_​19-1
Original Format Photo
Notes / History The unveiling of one of the last prefab houses on the St. Helier Estate, 1954.

Parts of the estate were severely damaged by enemy bombing during the Second World War. As in other parts of the country, housing shortages and restrictions on building materials led to the construction of prefabricated buildings, in order to meet the needs of the homeless. Many were erected near Bishopsford Road and in the St Helier Open Space. "Temporary" streets included Robertsbridge Green, Middleton Gardens and Tweedale Green.

The prefabs were eventually demolished and replaced by new "cottages".

Related items

Comments

* Required field