Tate Almshouses, Cricket Green, Mitcham
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||Mitcham Parish Council|
|Notes / History||The Tate Almshouses at the side of the Cricket Green were built in 1829.
The site and building costs were donated by Miss Mary Tate to accommodate twelve poor widows or spinsters of the parish.
A Matron was appointed to care for the inmates and monitor their behaviour. The female tenants were expected to behave "civilly and live orderly and religious lives". This included regular attendance at church and a parade of womenfolk, dressed in long woollen capes, became a regular sight on the road to and from daily service.