The Canons, Mitcham: Trees in the grounds
Buy a copy
|Date Photo Taken
|23rd April 1994
|Susan Andrew (Mitcham Library)
|Notes / History
|Shown is part of the gardens surrounding the Canons House and Leisure Centre, taken at the time of the official opening of the Merton Heritage Centre in 1994. The present house was built in 1680 on the site of a former Augustinian Priory. Included on this historic site is a walled garden, dovecote and an old Carp Pond. The gardens contain a wide variety of mature trees.
Throughout and after the war the property and gardens became overgrown and vandalised. In the 1960's the new London Borough of Merton undertook to bring back the surviving features in the gardens, which included restocking and cleaning of the old carp pond, the reconstruction of a new yew walk and replanting in areas of the garden. Today the grounds are well-managed and maintained.