The Willows, Willow Lane, Mitcham
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1870|
|Copyright 1||Presented by Mr Swain|
|Notes / History||"The Willows", South Mitcham, is thought to have been bullt circa 1746 for Thomas Selby junior, a calico bleacher. A Frenchman, Louis Dutriez, moved to Mitcham during the 1870's in order to start a market gardening business and his family occupied "The Willlows". He began cultivation of land between Mitcham Junction and the Wandle. His chief crop was watercress. Louis also ran a butchers' business in Mitcham High Street.
In 1906, the estate passed to Gaston Dutriez, husband of Louis' granddaughter. Gaston extended the business to incorporate a pig farm, renowned for its modern methods. Two years after the death of his wife in 1930 Gaston retired and returned to France.