Eagle House, Mitcham

Eagle House, Mitcham

Buy a copy

For prints:
Contact Merton Heritage Service. Tel.020 8545 3239 Email:

Date Photo Taken 16th January 1959
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 Mitcham News & Mercury
Picture Reference Mit_​Buildings_​10-1
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Eagle House, Upper Mitcham, is a good example of Queen Anne period architecture and thought to have been erected circa 1705. Its ornate wrought iron gates bear the initials of Sir James Doliffe, a founder director of the South Sea Company and London Merchant.

For a period of time up to 1616, the land on which the house stands was part of the Estate of Sir Walter and Lady Elizabeth Raleigh.

During its history the house has been used as a residence for city bankers, a private boarding school and a school run by poor law authorities. In recent years it came into the possession of the London Borough of Merton and was updated and extended for office use.

Related items


* Required field