Bishopsford House, Mitcham
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||22nd March 1902|
|Copyright 1||The Builder|
|Notes / History||A large Victorian Gothic style house situated at Poulter Park and built circa 1865. Owned initially by Alfred Attwood, a successful wholesale drug merchant, closely associated with George Meggeson and his firm of manufacturing chemists.
Shown is the proposed extension to the south-east corner of the house, drawn up by Architect, Halsey Ricardo, in 1902. At the time the extension was built Nina Phyllis Poston owned and lived in the property.
Successive owners included the Anglo-American Oil Company, Higgs & Hill Ltd., the British Legion and Greater London Playing Fields Association. Latterly used as a Club House and changing rooms, the house gradually declined and was sold for conversion but, prior to conversion, was gutted by fire in 2001.