The Canons, Mitcham

The Canons, Mitcham

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1823
Area Mitcham
Picture Reference Mit_​Buildings_​5-41
Original Format Watercolour
Notes / History The Canons, off Madeira Road, was named after the canons of the Augustinian priory of St Mary Overy at Southwark, to whom the site was given by the villagers of Mitcham. The present house, one of the largest in Mitcham, was built in 1680. However, both the old carp pond and the pigeon house predate the Dissolution and it is thought that the pigeon house is probably the oldest building in Mitcham. The present house remained in the ownership of the Cranmers and their relatives, the Simpsons, for over 250 years but they rarely occupied the house and leased it to a succession of City bankers and businessmen.

Related items

Comments

* Required field