The Canons, Mitcham: Display of crocuses

The Canons, Mitcham: Display of crocuses

Buy a print

Date Photo Taken 17th February 1995
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 Susan Andrew (Mitcham Library)
Picture Reference Mit_​Buildings_​5-21
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Shown is a display of crocuses in the well-managed gardens surrounding the Grade 2 Listed Canons House and the Leisure Centre. The present house, believed to have been built in 17th Century, is on the site of one of five manors referenced in the Domesday Survey. An ancient carp pond and dovecote still remain on the estate. The Canons was occupied as a private house until shortly before outbreak of war in 1939 when it was purchased by the Corporation of the Borough of Mitcham. During and after the war the estate was neglected and it was not until the late1950s that the Local Authority were able to start managing the house and gardens.

Related items

Comments

* Required field