|Notes / History
||The Manor House was a large rambling 18th century house, situated on London Road in Lower Mitcham. During the mid to late 1870's George Pitt and his wife, Priscilla, occupied the house on a lease from William Simpson III, who later became the lord of the Manor of Mitcham. The Pitts were actively involved in the life of Mitcham for some 30 years in the latter part of the 19th century. They were staunch Quakers and formed the Berkeley Teetotal Society. Their generosity included trips to the seaside for local people and provision of food and coal to people during extreme weather. The Pitts both enjoyed travelling and they embarked on a journey round the world to celebrate his 50th birthday which culminated in George writing a book about his journey. In addition, they arranged meetings and lectures which attracted large audiences and for which he built 'Liberty Hall'.