Park Place Restaurant, Mitcham
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1990|
|Copyright 1||Charles Wild|
|Notes / History||Park Place, near Commonside West, Mitcham, dates from the late 18th century. It was one of a number of houses owned by the Cranmer family who, with their relatives, the Simpsons, owned the manor of Mitcham Canons for over 250 years. The house was rarely lived in by the family but leased to various tenants.
The property remained in the family until 1922 when it was sold to the News of the World and the estate was developed and maintained as a sports ground for the next 40 years.
Circa 1963 the listed house and estate were purchased by the Local Authority who planned to build a new Grammar School for boys but plans had to be abandoned and the house fell into severe disrepair. Eventually the listed building was purchased by a public house and restaurant chain who refurbished the building in 1996/97.