Mitcham Grove, Mitcham: Architects Plans
Buy a print
|Notes / History||A sizeable house has existed on this site since the Medieval Period. Thomas Smythe, a prominent official in the court of Elizabeth 1, owned the house and estate in the Tudor period and his descendants retained ownership until the early Georgian period. Baron Clive of India owned Mitcham Grove in the 18th century. It appears that Clive gave Mitcham Grove to Alexander Wedderburn's around 1773 in recognition of his considerable help and support. Wedderburn later became Lord Chancellor and, on his death in 1804, was buried in St. Pauls Cathedral.
In 1774 Robert Adam started drawing up plans to turn the existing house into an elegantly proportioned and fashionable mansion. It can be seen from the architects plans that Adam had been instructed to proceed by Alexander Wedderburn.
Henry Hoare, an eminent City financier and senior partner in Hoares Bank, Fleet Street, purchased Mitcham Grove circa 1786. He was an active member and benefactor within the local Mitcham community for over 40 years until his death in 1828. The house suffered mixed fortunes following his death and having failed to attract a buyer was demolished in 1846.