Blue House Cottages, Croydon Road, Mitcham

Blue House Cottages, Croydon Road, Mitcham

Buy a copy

For prints:
Contact Merton Heritage Service. Tel.020 8545 3239 Email:

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1960
Area Mitcham
Picture Reference Mit_​Buildings_​3-2
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Earliest references to this small group of four or five cottages, known as the Blue House Cottages, date back to the late 18th century. Situated within the Manor of Ravensbury the cottages were built of timber and tiles. Located by the cottages was the old timber-framed and boarded public house, known as the 'Ravensbury Arms', and previously known as the 'Blue House' as well as the 'Conqueror'. Records show that Richard Bradford acquired the tenancy of The Ravensbury Arms circa 1880 and that the Blue Cottages were included in the purchase. The Ravensbury Arms was pulled down in 1906 and the present public house built. The cottages stood on the site until much later and the final pair were demolished as unfit for habitation in 1962. The site of the cottages then became part of the gardens to the public house.

Related items


* Required field