Eagle House, Mitcham
Buy a copy
|Notes / History||Eagle House, Upper Mitcham, is a good example of Queen Anne period architecture and thought to have been erected circa 1705.
Its iron gates are wrought to include the initials of Sir James Doliffe, a merchant and founding director of the South Sea Company, and early resident of the house. Shown is one of the stone eagles, c.1910, which flank the gates.
During its history the house has been used as a residence for city bankers, a private boarding school and a school run by poor law authorities. In more recent years it was in the possession of the London Borough of Merton and was updated and extended for office use.