Wandle House, Phipps Bridge Road, Mitcham

Wandle House, Phipps Bridge Road, Mitcham

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1953
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 Presented by Mr E P Olney
Picture Reference Mit_​Buildings_​40-3
Original Format Photo
Notes / History A medium-sized stuccoed brick residence, built in the style of the mid 18th Century, with stables, outbuildings and approx 3 acres of gardens and meadow. The building is shown on a Tithe map dated 1847 but there is evidence that the house may have been built earlier, possibly late 18th Century. Little is known of its early occupants but it is noted that Jerman Nobes, senior partner in a firm of leather merchants and carriers, moved into the house around 1860. Wandle House sustained severe bomb damage during Air Raids in the 2nd World War and was demolished in the late 40's/early 50's.

Related items

Comments

* Required field