|Notes / History
||Shown is the impressive 17th Century wrought iron gate leading to the Wandle Bank House, also known as Wandle Park House. The house was built by James Perry, circa 1805, in the style of a gentleman's villa and surrounded by 11 acres of grounds. The house and estate was purchased in 1904 by the local Corporation for £6,000, together with grounds bordering the Wandle River for the purpose of conserving and providing open spaces for public enjoyment. The Wandle Bank Park was formally opened in 1907 by Her Royal Highness the Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll, and attended by local dignitaries who joined the royal party and mayoress for tea.