The Canons, Mitcham: Dovecote
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||28th November 1958|
|Copyright 1||Mitcham News & Mercury|
|Notes / History||Built circa 1511, the Grade II listed dovecote dates from the period when this site was part of grange farmland run by the Augustinian canons of St.Mary Overie, Southwark.
Set into the chalk blocks of the interior were roosting spaces for up to 600 birds, arranged in 15 rows from ground level and reached by a revolving ladder.
The keeping of birds was a special privilege during the Medieval period. Both the eggs and the pigeons themselves were an important source of food for the religious community, especially during winter.