The Canons, Mitcham: Dovecote
Buy a print
|Notes / History||This sketch shows the Dovecote, built circa 1511, in the grounds of the Canons House. It is reputed to be the oldest complete structure in Mitcham. The rectangular structure has walls which are 3 foot deep with a truncated and turreted tiled roof. It is thought that the dovecote was built by the priory and convent of St Mary Overy.
The Dovecote provided roosts for around 600 pigeons and would have provided a valuable food source during cold winter months.