Durham House, Mitcham: Rear view
Buy a copy
|Notes / History
|Shown is a sketch of the rear of Durham House, Upper Green, Mitcham, which was built in 1722 for Elizabeth Arnold. One of the first tenants was Lady Mary Doliffe, a former resident of Eagle House, Mitcham. Her late husband, Sir James Dolliffe was a London merchant and founding member of the South Seas Company formed in 1711. The company traded in slaves, spices and exotic products with the Spanish Colonies.
Subsequent residents of Durham House included Lieutenant General Giles Stibbert, followed by Daniel Garroway in 1808 and between 1841 to 1849 was occupied by Abel Garraway.