Colliers Wood Library: Official Opening

Colliers Wood Library: Official Opening

Prints Temporarily Unavailable

Buy a print

Date Photo Taken 19th October 1946
Area Colliers Wood
Picture Reference Mit_​Libraries_​1-2
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Gathering inside Colliers Wood Library for the official opening in 1946
Books offered a vital form of escape for both troops and civilians during the Second World War. The post-war era was greeted by a flurry of library construction, albeit on a small-scale. The original library at Colliers Wood was situated near the local Underground station and was the first full-time branch to be staffed by Mitcham Library. Amongst the dignitaries shown here are Councillor Saldanha (3rd from left) the Mayor of Mitcham Alderman Cole and wife (centre), Councillor Ibbotson (6th from the right) and Councillor Fido (4th from the right)

Related items

Comments

* Required field