Windmill, 40 Commonside West
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||13th August 1989|
|Copyright 1||Charles Wild|
|Notes / History||The Windmill pub building pictured here was built in the last half of the 19th century, though a pub has stood on this site since at least 1846. The original was possibly built after the passing of the Beerhouse Act in 1830.
The name 'Windmill' may have been chosen because of an unusual horizontal windmill that stood nearby until the early 19th century.
This area was bombed during the Blitz, but the pub managed to remain unscathed.