|Notes / History
||The original Swan,described by Tom Francis as an "unpretentious, workaday village inn," had stairs leading up to the front so that a cellar could be accomodated underneath the pub, as the ground water in Mitcham lurks only a few feet beneath the surface. For many years, the Inn was a regular resting place for tradesmen and hauliers travelling south from Streatham and Tooting. During the Epsom "meet", it was also popular with racegoers from London. This picture shows the rebuild from around 1900 with an elevated forecourt, which eliminated the need for the steps; corinthian columns, and a brick front - this too has now been demolished. The site is now occupied by flats.