Phipps Bridge Road, Mitcham: White Cottage

Phipps Bridge Road, Mitcham: White Cottage

Buy a copy

For prints:
Contact Merton Heritage Service. Tel.020 8545 3239 Email:

Partial / Incomplete Date 1948
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 Presented by E Passmore Olney
Picture Reference Mit_​Streets_​P_​Wil_​54-59
Original Format Photo
Notes / History River view of White cottages, Phipps Bridge Road, Mitcham in the process of demolition. This waterboarded Cottage, has been known to exist since 1804 under the discretion names as: “Littler’s Cottage”, “White Cottage” or “The Nook” or Brangwyn Cresent. At first occupied by Thomas Bartlett in 1804, then leased to John Leach of Newton, Leach, Greaves and Hodgson in 1805 as calico painters. In 1812, printer William Hate and sons worked for the calico printers being part of Merton Abbey. These cottages were demolished in 1961 and replaced with modern block of flats

Related items


* Required field