The Trafalgar: High Path, Merton

The Trafalgar: High Path, Merton

Buy a copy

For prints:
Contact Merton Heritage Service. Tel.020 8545 3239 Email:

Date Photo Taken 21st March 2005
Area Merton
Copyright 1 Merton Historical Society
Stakeholder Image MHS
Picture Reference MHS_​10
Original Format Print
Photographer / Origin of Photo Judith Goodman
Notes / History The smallest pub in Merton, the Trafalgar is situated at the junction between High Path and Pincott Road. The earliest reference to the pub dates from 1868, when this area was known as “the Rockery” due to its poor, cramped and damp housing. By 1890, the building was privately owned by Thomas Percival of Norman Road and licensed to sell only beer and cider.
During the early 20th century, the Trafalgar had a reputation for its “rough” clientele. It was also known as the “Threepenny Hop” because men leaving the nearby Merton Abbey Station would hop over the fence for a pint. A single storey extension was added in 1906, doubling the size of the tiny pub with external toilets which were removed in 1930s in favour of internal facilities.

Related items


* Required field