The Croft, Commonside East, Mitcham

The Croft, Commonside East, Mitcham

Buy a print

Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 London Borough of Merton
Picture Reference Mit_​TomFrancis_​B6
Original Format Photo
Photographer / Origin of Photo Tom Francis
Notes / History Shown is a photograph of The Croft, Commonside East, which was built around 1870 and at one time known as Wykeham Cottage. The first occupants are thought to have been the Gales who left by1882 when the house became listed as the residence of Charles Temple Layton. Various different occupants lived in house for the next 40 years until, shortly after 1924, the cottage was turned into flats and management moved across to the Merton Borough Council. For a brief interlude the property became a nurse's hostel and was finally demolished in 1973.

Related items

Comments

* Required field